Meramec Caverns is the largest commercial cave in the state of Missouri. Missouri is also known as the Cave state, hosting home to more than 6,000 surveyed caves. Guided tours by trained rangers are conducted along well-lighted walkways.
Things to Do
- In addition to the guided Cave & Cavern Tours, there are a number of other activities to enjoy.
- Zip Line Adventure: Soar through the tree tops and across the Meramec River on a hour long adventure of a lifetime. Open March-October.
- Riverboat Rides: Enjoy a relaxing, history filled, half hour long excursion on the Meramec River aboard a canopy-topped riverboat. Cavern Queen I and Cavern Queen II can each hold 25 passengers. Boats run April through September, dependent upon weather and river conditions.
- Canoe Floats: Take a six or eleven mile float on the scenic Meramec River. A shuttle bus will take you up river and you can float back to your car, here at the caverns. Reservations are required, please call 1-573-468-6463. Canoes, kayaks, and rafts are only available when weather permits.
- Pan for Gold: While parents shop at the Mine Store for beautiful rock gifts or at Granny's Candy Store for homemade fudge, kids can pan for fool's gold, fossils, and other gemstones in a 19th century setting.
- Lantern Tours: Fridays & Saturdays in June, visitors can explore the caverns by the light of hand-held lanterns. This guide-led journey of the caverns includes meeting a variety of historical characters along the way. Characters such as an Osage Indian, a Civil War soldier, and the infamous Jesse James share tales of folklore, stories of courage and adventure, as well as details on the rich history of the caverns. Tour last 80 minutes. Reservations are required in advance.
- Camping: The campground at Meramec Caverns includes: shaded riverfront camp sites; RV hookups; showers; restrooms; sheltered pavilions; barbecue pits; picnic areas; and a concession stand. Campground is open April 1 though October 31.
Meremac Caverns Insider Tips
- Tours depart every 20-30 minutes throughout the day.
- What to Wear: The temperature of the cave is a constant 58 degrees. As a result, a light jacket is recommended along with comfortable, non-slip walking shoes.
- Tour Length: The tour takes one hour and twenty minutes to complete. It is a walking tour covering 1 1/4 mile round-trip. Abbreviated tours (45 minutes in length) are available for groups upon request.
- Accessibiliy: Meramec Caverns is wheelchair accessible. Of the 80 minute tour, the first 50 minutes covers flat terrain with the last 30 minutes containing one flight of stairs. Stairs can easily be by-passed through use of a nearby ramp, but requires the assistance of a physically fit person.
- Strollers: No strollers are not allowed on tour. Due to the grooves in the concrete walkway (which allow moisture and water to drain from the walkways) the small size of the stoller wheels tend to cause excessive vibration to the stroller and the child. Backbacks or Child carriers are suggested. *Use caution when carrying child or infant for the ceiling is low in some areas.