Mike the Tiger is the official mascot of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. In 1935, students raised money to purchase a tiger from the Little Rock Zoo to live at the school and serve as a live mascot. They named the tiger Mike after athletic trainer Mike Chambers, who was responsible for bringing the tiger to LSU. Ever since, LSU has had a live tiger mascot named Mike, with the current mascot being Mike VI. It's well worth a visit to the LSU campus just to see Mike in his luxurious new habitat.
Things to Do
- Visit Mike the Tiger! His beautiful new habitat features an Italianate tower, a waterfall, a stream, and all kinds of plants. It is considered to be one of the finest tiger habitats in the entire country.
- Watch Mike splash around in his swimming pond in the summertime through glass paneled arches that provide underwater views.
- Bring along a camera so that you can take photos of Mike!
Mike the Tiger Insider Tips
- If you can't make it to the LSU campus, you can also watch Mike prowl around his habitat by using the live Tiger Cam available on the Mike the Tiger website.
- Mike's habitat is located between LSU Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center on N. Stadium Rd. in Baton Rouge.
- It's free to visit Mike, so consider making a donation to the Mike the Tiger Habitat Fund after your visit, which funds improvements and maintenance of the habitat.