Mill Mountain Zoo is a quaint little mountaintop zoo that is located around the Mill Mountain Park in Roanoke, Virginia. You will enjoy this short visit to a sweet zoo with gorgeous scenery. Couple this visit with a day spent at the Mill Mountain Park complete with a picnic, some hiking and kite flying for a full day of relaxing fun.
Things to Do
- View the more than 175 animals on display at the zoo.
- Take the time to listen to some of the keeper chats where zookeepers talk with guests about their relationships with the animals and how they care for them.
- Ride the Zoo Choo miniature G-12 Train around the zoo. The train will take you around the zoo twice where you will see the animals from different perspectives and go through a zoo animal themed tunnel.
- Shop at the Mill Mountain Zoo Gift Shop where all proceeds go to conservation of the zoo.
- Take a free tour of the wildflower garden at the entrance to the zoo, hike and enjoy free access to the Mill Mountain Park and view the Roanoke Mill Mountain Star, a roadside attraction.
Mill Mountain Zoo Insider Tips
- The Zoo Choo Train runs weather permitting, so it is suggested that you call first before visiting.
- The Zoo Choo Train departs every 30 minutes.
- I would not consider this zoo a destination zoo but definitely a side attraction or a nice visit if you live nearby or are passing through.