Milwaukee Pierhead light is a historical landmark that was constructed in 1872, in the Milwaukee Harbor of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The original structure was a wooden pierhead light and was similar in structure to pierhead lights constructed through out the great Lakes in the 18th century. The old pierhead light was replaced by a conical steel tower in 1907, and was equipped with a Fresnel lens. The lens was replaced later on with a fifth order Fresnel, this lens was also removed in 2005, and now the tower has a modern beacon that still flashes and guides vessels out in the lake.
Things to Do
- The pier of the lighthouse can be reached through downtown Milwaukee, the historic lighthouse has a characteristic red light that flashes every four seconds.
- The pier of the lighthouse is used for fishing, the red conical tower of the lighthouse is closed.
- The light house gives some clean and nice views of the Lake Michigan, you can also view Milwaukee breakwater lighthouse from this spot.
- The lighthouse used to have keepers until 1966, when it was automated, the lighthouse now runs on solar power.
- The lighthouse is easily accessible in Downtown Milwaukee at the end of East Erie street.
Milwaukee Pierhead Light Insider Tips
- Parking is available near the lighthouse.