Set on 193 acres of land Minnehaha Park is a beautiful natural retreat from the city of Minneapolis. Here you will find many native flowers and trees, a 53 foot waterfall, river overlooks and limestone bluffs. If you and your family enjoy the outdoors you will find a lot to enjoy with plenty of space to walk, jog and bike. It is also the perfect spot for an afternoon picnic while in summer the park hosts a series of concerts.
Things to Do
- When you visit the park head to the Wabun area. This section of the park is perfect for children given that a frisbee golf course, volleyball court, bike trail and four picnic shelters complete grills, lights and electricity that you can reserve ahead of time, are all located here.
- There is also a playground, wading pool, spray structure and a waterfall close by.
- In summer Minneapolis' parks are home to more than 250 free concerts and outdoor movie viewings. Minnehaha Park is part of this series and hosts music on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 7:00 pm. For more info on this program of events check out the Music & Movies in the Parks website.
Minnehaha Park Insider Tips
- If you have a dog then bring it along too. In the south end of Minnehaha Park is a special 6.58 acre off-leash recreation dog park. Remember though that in order to use this park, or any of Minneapolis' off leash dog parks, you have to first get a permit.
- During the peak months the park is a very popular spot. This can make parking difficult so try get in early to secure a space before the crowds arrive.
- Trails can get a little muddy after rainfall. Regardless of the weather if you plan to do some real walking then don't forget comfortable shoes.