Winter is a great time to test out soups! Everyone is eager to warm up with a hearty, nutritious 'meal' in a bowl. This soup is loaded with so many wonderful veggies, chicken and spices, you will really love it. This soup is mild, too - so the youngest family members will love it, too.
I have adapted a recipe I found on the Stop and Shop website.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Put oil in a deep, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Add to skillet and stir. Cook until browned.
- Add onion, cumin, ginger, and paprika to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth to skillet and stir - make sure you get all the bits off the bottom of pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add zucchini, couscous and chickpeas to skillet; stir and cover.
- Return to a boil, then lower the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro or parsley and season with pepper to taste.
- Cook for 1 minute, ans serve in soup bowls.