Mount Bonnell in Covert Park is one of the highest points in Austin, Texas. It is a popular tourist destination due to the beautiful views it provides of the city and the Colorado River, which are considered to be some of the most scenic vistas in Austin. There are lots of stairs to climb, but once you've reached the top you'll see that it's well worth the effort. Best of all, this free attraction is located near other nature spots like Mayfield Park and Preserve and the historic Laguna Gloria villa.
Things to Do
- Climb the many stairs to the top of Mount Bonnell and enjoy its spectacular views!
- Bring along a picnic lunch and take some time to relax at the top, eat, and enjoy the scenery before walking back down the hill.
- Once you're finished enjoying the view and taking photos, consider a visit to nearby Mayfield Park and Preserve, a free nature preserve where you can meet peacocks up close and go on a family nature hike.
Mount Bonnell Insider Tips
- The stairs that you have to climb up to get to the top of Mount Bonnell are pretty steep, so you may not want to visit with small children unless you're willing to carry them.
- Another great nearby attraction is Laguna Gloria, a restored 1916 villa that is now home to various art exhibitions. Admission to the home and grounds is free, and guided tours are available if you're interested in learning about the building's history and its famous owner, Clara Driscoll.
- Don't forget your camera! You'll definitely want to snap some photos of the river and the Austin skyline in the distance.