If you love the great outdoors then you should definitely take the time to visit Mount Evans, one of the highest peaks in Colorado, which can be seen throughout the Denver area. There are plenty of ways to explore Mount Evans, but one of the most popular is by driving along the Mount Evans Scenic Byway, the highest paved road in North America, which ends near its summit. You can also enjoy its beautiful vistas while hiking, fishing, and cycling at the Mount Evans Recreation Area and nearby Echo Lake.
Things to Do
- Explore The Summit of Mount Evans Interpretive Site, where you can enjoy the spectacular views from the top of this over 14,000-foot peak and see mountain goats up close.
- Visit the Dos Chappell Nature Center, which contains a variety of informative exhibits related to the mountain's history and wildlife.
- Go on a family hike through the mountains! There are several trails of varying lengths and difficulty levels to choose from, including an accessible trail.
Mount Evans Insider Tips
- Be prepared to pay a fee of $10 per vehicle to visit the recreation area.
- If you'd like to stop and enjoy the scenery as you drive along the Mount Evans Scenic Byway, consider stopping at Echo Lake, which offers hiking trails, fishing, and picnic tables.
- Make sure to check the official Forest Service website for the recreation area before you visit since the roads are occasionally closed due to inclement weather.