Mount Laguna is a forested area in the Laguna Mountains near San Diego on the edge of the Cleveland National Forest. It is home to a small village with a general store, restaurant, post office, and campgrounds, but is mostly visited due to the presence of the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area which surrounds it.
If you're looking for a beautiful natural space near San Diego where your family can hike and see California's diverse wildlife, head into the mountains and visit Mount Laguna!
Things to Do
- Hike the trails at the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area in Cleveland National Park. Don't miss the Big Laguna Mountain Meadows that are nestled in the primarily forested recreation area - they're a beautiful place to stop and rest in the sunshine..
- Go sledding, cross-country skiing, or just play in the snow in the wintertime! The Mount Laguna area is known for its great winter recreation activities that are fun for the whole family.
- Stop by the Laguna Mountain Visitor Center, which features a number of fascinating displays related to topics such as local wildlife, the Kumeyaay people, fire ecology, and mining. Volunteers are also happy to answer any questions you may have.
Mount Laguna Insider Tips
- Need a map? Just visit the Laguna Mountain Visitor Center, where you can buy a map as well as nature books and other forest-related items.
- Take part in one of the various programs offered by the Laguna Mountain Volunteer Association. Families can learn all about mountain men, farmers, and local Native American tribes, do mountain wildlife crafts, go on nature walks, and make pine cone bird feeders together!
- Check out the rest of the Cleveland National Forest - recreation activities include biking, climbing, fishing, hunting, water sports, and nature viewing. Learn more from its official Forest Service website.