Experience the life of America's first family at George Washington's Estate and Gardens in Mount Vernon, Virginia. Learn the fascinating history of George Washington, America's first President and the impact that he had on our Nation's history.
The gardens at Mount Vernon are impeccable and the mansion and grounds are so very well kept. The actors are dressed in period attire and their wealth of knowledge and little bits of wisdom and stories really encapsulate the period of time when George Washington lived. Visitors will feel like they stepped back in time when they visit this very popular tourist attraction.
Things to Do
- Sign up for guided tours around the grounds, mansion, gardens, memorial, and working farm at Mount Vernon. More detailed tours are available for purchase and are highly recommended to add to the historically relevant experience. Actors and docents are on site doing tours and throughout the grounds so that you can experience Mount Vernon as it was so many years ago.
- Take a tour of George Washington's Mansion and view artifacts and belongings and living quarters of America's first family.
- There are films available for viewing and a theater
- Visit the memorials for George Washington and the slaves who worked at the estate.
- Enjoy the animals on the working farm and meander through the stunning gardens throughout the magnificent estate.
Mount Vernon Insider Tips
- It is best to visit this destination when the weather is nicer because many of the sites to see are outdoors.
- It is best to buy tickets ahead of time. This destination is one that gets a lot of visitors. Reserve your House tour in the morning as possible to minimize the crowds otherwise you will be waiting in line for a while...even with a ticket.
- I highly recommend adding the Through Your Eyes tour where you will receive a guided tour by George Washington himself ( an actor of course). If you can do this tour before anything else I think you will get more from the whole trip.
- The gift shop has a lot of interesting items, so you may want to leave extra time to peruse the store.
- Lines form quickly at Mount Vernon, so again I think the earlier you start and the more you plan your visit, the better.
- Picnic and outside foods are not allowed on the grounds of Mount Vernon. A food court is available, but you must consume the food in that area before entering the grounds.