Mount Soledad towers 824 feet over the Pacific Ocean and San Diego and is a wonderful destination to take your family to in order to enjoy nature and some fantastic views. There is also a controversial veterans' monument at the top and a park.
Things to Do
- Get you and your family out of the house and up to the top of a mountain for spectacular views of both the Pacific Ocean and San Diego. Mount Soledad is a fantastic photo opportunity!
- Learn more about war heroes at the veteran's memorial. The Christian cross that tops the monument has created a lot of controversy for the site and was ruled unconstitutional in 2011. However, this shouldn't detract from the educational value of the site itself.
- Go cycling along any one of the mountain's 13 routes. Cycling around the mountain is very populat thanks to the wide range of different routes which are suitable for all ages and abilities.
Mt. Soledad Insider Tips
- If you head along the mountain later in the day you can see the fireworks from SeaWorld without paying the entrance fee for the attraction.
- Take a picnic along as you and your family are bound to get hungry from the exercise. There are great places to sit down and enjoy a picnic with amazing views.
- There are two parking lots at the mountain. If you park at the one at the foot of Mt. Soledad, you will have quite a trek to the top ahead of you. However, the one at the top can get quite busy so you should consider heading along quite early to get a spot if you think your little ones' might not be able to make the whole trip.