Just three miles west of Muir Woods can be found Muir Beach and its spectacular lookout point. You can go for a walk along the trails here and soak up the beautiful countryside. Or head down to the Beach itself for a swim.
Things to Do
- The Overlook trail provides beautiful views of the scenic surrounding countryside. It is high up though so it may not be the best option for those people who are scared of heights.
- Time your visit for the sunset which is truly remarkable.
- To teach little ones about a bit of nature you can head to the nearby Slide Ranch where cows, chicks and bees are kept. The Ranch can be found between the Muir and Stinson beaches and reservations ahead of time are advised.
Muir Beach Overlook Insider Tips
- If you're planning a picnic then the lookout is a gorgeous spot. However it can be very windy so be prepared to hang onto your things. It can also be a little bit chilly so bring a jacket!
- If you have a dog bring him along. The beach and the entire area around the lookout point is the perfect place to let him off the leash and go roaming.
- The roads approaching the lookout are curvy so motion sickness is possible for sensitive travellers.
- If you decide to head down to Muir Beach itself keep an eye on your children, there are no lifeguards.
- There is a relatively large parking lot nearby which is connected to the beach and the coastal trail by a 450 foot pedestrian bridge.