The Mütter Museum is a fascinating medical museum in Philadelphia that features an eclectic collection of exhibits related to medicine and the human body. Visitors to the museum can expect to see all kinds of captivating exhibits which showcase everything from pieces of Albert Einstein's brain to an immense collection of human skulls used for scientific research. Older children and adults who are particularly interested in science are sure to love this one-of-a-kind attraction.
Things to Do
- View sections of Albert Einstein's brain! Over the years, specimens of his brain have been studied by dozens of scientists who wanted to determine if it held the secrets of his genius.
- Explore the Hyrtl Skull Collection, a group of 139 skulls that were collected and studied by an anatomist in the late 1800s in order to prove that cranial features did not affect intelligence.
- Check out the Chevalier Jackson Collection, which showcases thousands of foreign objects that a local doctor removed from patients' airways during his long career, from buttons and coins to small toys!
Mütter Museum Insider Tips
- If you're fascinated by medical oddities, don't miss the exhibit related to famous conjoined twins Chang and Eng, which features a display that contains their conjoined livers.
- Consider purchasing a combined ticket for the Mütter Museum and the nearby Penn Museum in order to enjoy a discounted admission price to see both attractions.
- View their calendar to learn about upcoming events such as drawing classes and lectures.