The National Ornamental Metal Museum is the only museum in the United States that is dedicated to metalwork. It features an impressive permanent collection of metalwork, a sculpture garden, and metalworking facilities where visitors can view blacksmiths at work and participate in metalwork classes. If your family is interested in art, you'll definitely want to visit this unique museum.
Things to Do
- Explore the permanent collection, which includes exquisite sculptures, hand-forged iron farm tools, and Renaissance-era door knockers.
- Visit the Smithy, where you can participate in classes with skilled blacksmiths or simply view them as they work on their latest projects.
- Take some time to enjoy the constantly changing current exhibitions, which feature all kinds of unique metalwork displays.
- Head outside and enjoy the fresh air while walking around the sculpture garden! One of its most famous pieces is Discovery by Logan Hirsch, a large sculpture in the center of the garden.
National Ornamental Metal Museum Insider Tips
- Feel free to bring along food and drinks and have a family picnic on the museum grounds.
- If you have a student in the family, make sure they bring along a valid ID so that they can receive discounted admission.
- Visit the museum on weekends at 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. to view forging and casting demonstrations!