The Newport Mansions are fourteen historic properties in Newport, Rhode Island that are managed by the Preservation Society of Newport County. If you're interested in architecture, history, art, interior design, or landscaping, you can tour eleven of the properties, several of which are National Historic Landmarks. Highlights of the various tours include a fantastic topiary garden, a children's tour featuring a flying dragon, and impressive art collections.
Things to Do
- Visit the Green Animals Topiary Garden, a small estate that features dozens of animals, birds, and geometric figures expertly sculpted from plants.
- Explore The Breakers, the largest of the mansions, which was owned by the prominent Vanderbilt family. It offers both a main tour and a children's tour which includes a talking house and a flying dragon.
- Take a docent-led tour of Chateau-sur-Mer, a beautiful Victorian mansion that once held lavish parties with thousands of guests.
Newport Mansions Insider Tips
- Learn more about the many other mansions throughout the Newport area that you can tour by visiting the Preservation Society of Newport County's website.
- Check out their calendar to learn about upcoming events such as festivals, lectures, flower shows, and more.
- If you'd like to visit multiple mansions, consider purchasing the Newport Mansions Experience ticket, which allows you to visit any 5 properties at a discounted price.