The North Carolina Museum of Art features extensive visual arts collection that showcases historic art as well modern and contemporary art collection. The historic art collection includes paintings from the early European painters, Italian Renaissance art, Egyptian art and sculptures, paintings and sculptures from Ancient Greece and Rome, American art dating back to 18th century, African and Colombian art. The museum can be toured free of charge everyday, expect Mondays, there is a restaurant, coffee bar and museum park on site.
Things to Do
- Visit the museum to explore the art collection, you can take a self guided or guided tour, guided tours are free and run everyday.
- There are many historic and ancient artifacts to see at the museum, the Egyptian artifacts date back to 6,000 years and include handmade jars, statues, coffins and more.
- The African art collection showcases historic material from the 19th and 20th centuries, there are wooden crafts, beaded crowns, Masquerade and more.
- The Italian work of art displays exquisite paintings from as early as 14th century, prominent works of art from the 14th and 15th centuries.
- Enjoy a refreshing meal at the Iris restaurant, have coffee and cookies at Sip coffee bar.
- Shop for exquisite gifts at the shop, including art books, jewelry, toys, books and art kits for children.
- The museum park is a wonderful site to visit, it has grass fields, woodlands, work of arts, sculptures and picnic areas.
North Carolina Museum of Art Insider Tips
- Check the website for family workshops, outdoor movies and summer camps.