The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh is the most popular museum in North Carolina. It is the largest natural history museum in the region, and features a variety of hands-on exhibits that include a conservatory filled with butterflies, a science lab, a computer modeling lab, an area where visitors can interact with veterinarians performing procedures on real animals, and an immense collection of animals, plants, fossils, and minerals. Other highlights include a huge aquarium, a microscope lab, and dinosaur fossils.
Things to Do
- Explore the many exhibits within the Nature Exploration Center, which focuses on the natural history of North Carolina habitats such as the Atlantic Ocean and the Appalachian Mountains.
- Take your little one to the Discovery Room exhibit, where they can touch fossils, look at a beehive, play with puppets, search for hidden animals, and dress up in costumes.
- Check out all of the museum's amazing interactive experiences, including several science labs which enable visitors to learn more about nature and science and a living conservatory that is home to butterflies, turtles, and a sloth!
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences Insider Tips
- Admission to the museum is free, but donations are greatly appreciated.
- View their calendar in order to learn about upcoming science classes, drawing workshops, game nights, family events, beekeeping workshops, and other fun activities.
- Have your child's next birthday party at the museum - their party packages include activities, live animal presentations, cake and ice cream, and gift bags.