The Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum is dedicated to chronicling the history and technological innovations of the drilling industry. It is located on an actual retired jackup drilling rig just off Galveston, Texas. The Museum offers three floors of exhibits and actual artifacts from the history of offshore drilling.
Things to Do
- Tours around the museum are self-guided. For a little extra you can opt for an audio tour or alternatively you can buy a guide in the museum's gift shop. When you begin the tour you will watch a video about the offshore industry. You are then free to explore the three floors of interactive displays at your own pace. From these displays you can learn not only about the offshore industry itself but about geology, seismology and more.
- The Offshore Energy Center's Hall of Fame celebrates the innovators and technologies that established offshore drilling as a viable and successful industry.
- The Museum runs an educational outreach program. As part of this they work closely with boy and girls scouts and school children of all ages. They can facilitate tours, overnights and summer camps for children from kindergarten through to Grade 12.
Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum Insider Tips
- The Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum offers free admission to military personnel and their families. Just remember to bring your Military I.D!
- The entire rig is easily accessible to the wheelchair users and persons with impaired mobility.
- Virtual Tours of the entire facility are available online beginning with a tour on Level 1.