Create your own Oscar the Grouch characters with this Tissue Paper Pom Pom craft. Everyone loves Sesame Street and the characters who reside there! Children of all ages can create their own characters with this tissue paper pom pom craft which is fun and fairly easy to make. The pom poms make great themed party decorations or are simply a fun craft that can be proudly displayed in your home.
- Several sheets of green tissue paper ( 8-10 sheets)
- Craft wire or pipecleaner
- Red, Black, Brown and white card stock
- Black markers
- Glue Gun
How to Make Them
- Lay 8-10 sheets of green large tissue paper on top of each other.
- Fold them together in 1 inch segments back and forth, back and forth accordion style until the entire tissue paper surface is folded like a fan.
- Secure the paper in the center with some craft wire or a pipe cleaner.
- Tie a long piece of twine to the craft wire or pipe cleaner.
- Use sharp scissors to cut rounded ends onto the ends of the folded tissue paper.
- Gently fan the sides out and carefully pull back each layer of tissue and pull toward the center.
- When you are half way through the stack of tissue, flip it over and pull the layers that have not been spread yet, in the opposite direction.
- Fluff when finished.
- Cut out two large white circles for the eyes. We used a 3 inch circle for our large pom pom.
- Use black markers to draw and color in a 1 inch pupil in the center of the white circles.
- Cut out a third of a circle out of your black card stock for the mouth.
- Draw and cut out a chunky rounded heart shape for the inside of Oscar's mouth. Glue this to the upper center of the black portion of circle.
- Using your scissors and your brown paper, cut out a fringy long brow that will span across both eyes and curve around the outer edge of the eyes.
- Use your glue gun to adhere the paper facial features to your pom pom. Use care to slip the very edges of the eyes under neat the brow line.