The Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens makes 300 acres of nature available to the local community. In particular this park is dedicated to the preservation and cultivation of eight distinct ecosystems each of which is native to Kansas. The various gardens offer space for relaxation and reflection while there is also a Children's Discovery Garden to keep the little ones occupied!
Things to Do
- It is possible to organize a guided tour of the Arboretum and the Gardens. This can be arranged for Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Just be sure to call at least three weeks in advance on 913-685-3604 to secure a spot.
- In total there is over five miles of paved and wood chip hiking trails running through the gardens. These range in difficulty from a simple half mile asphalt path to more challenging walks on tougher terrain. Each trail offers a peaceful way to disconnect from normal life and commune with Kansas' beautiful nature. Check out this trail guide to figure out which you want to walk.
- Once you have finished up in the gardens you can stop into the Arboretum Café to re-energize. Here you can find deli sandwiches, pastries and of course, coffee.
Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens Insider Tips
- From mid April until September the park stays open to the later time of 7:30 pm. The usual closing time is 5:00 pm.
- Admission to the park is free on Tuesdays. Aside from that the cost is usually $3 for visitors over the age of 13 and $1 for visitors between the age of 6 and 12. Entry is free for kids 5 and under.