Placed right at the center of Golden Gate Park Stow Lake is the largest lake within the park. It's possible to rent rowboats, electric boats and peddle boats that can seat up to six people to take out onto the lake.
Things to Do
- To actually rent the boat you will have to head to the Stow Lake Boathouse. The Boathouse can be found at 50 Stow Lake Drive situated at the Northwestern side of the Lake
- Go on a tour of Strawberry Hill, the artificial island at the center of Stow Lake. It is here that you can find the parks highest point which reaches 430 feet. You can also watch lovers as they take romantic walks on the island. Also on the island can be found a pagoda and a waterfall; it makes an excellent spot for a picnic.
- If you would prefer to leave the cooking to someone else you can eat at the Stow Lake Boathouse Café. Here you can find hamburgers, hot dogs, wraps, paninis, salads, a range of ice cream and coffee, fresh baked scones, croissants, cookies and a vegan menu too!
Paddle Boats at Stow Lake Insider Tips
- Both the café and the boathouse are open a little later during the weekends.
- Don't let kids or pets touch the water, its not always the cleanest!
- Think twice about feeding the birds, there are a lot of seagulls around that can get quite worked up at the sight of food. The Stow Lake Boathouse specifically asks on its website for you not to feed the birds.