Do you have old keys laying around that are cluttering up your drawers. Upcycle old keys and turn them into Painted Key Wind chimes. Key wind chimes dangle in the breeze creating a fun and whimsical sound. They make a great gift and can be created by crafters of all ages. Hang them out by a playset in your yard, from a tree, or off of your deck or porch.
- 6-8 old keys
- A stick
- String or yarn
- Newspaper to cover your craft area
- Acrylic paint
How to Make It
- Paint your keys on one side and allow to dry.
- Flip them over and paint the other side of them. You may need two coats of paint for proper coverage. If so, repeat steps one and two. Try using paints of different colors for each key for a more vibrant look.
- While you are letting the keys dry, explore your yard for the perfect sturdy and straight stick.
- Remove any stray branches from your stick
- Tie a piece of your yarn or twine to each end of the stick and then tie the other ends together to create a way of hanging your wind chimes.
- Tie a piece of string to each key. Have fun with different colored yarn if you have it.
- Tie strings attached to the keys to the stick approximately 2 inches a part from each other so that they will be able to dangle and make a chime sound when the wind blows them.
- Hang from a place in the yard or on your porch and enjoy.