Kaleidoscopes create fascinating displays of colors and patterns that amaze us all. Young crafters can create their own version of a kaleidoscope by making one out of paper tubes from toilet paper or paper towel roll tubes. Create several templates for your viewing pleasure and personalize your special homemade toy by decorating the outside of the paper tube to your liking. Remember that adult supervision is necessary when using an iron.
- Toilet tissue tubes
- Wax paper
- Rubber bands
- Decorative craft supplies for personalizing
How to Make It
- Cut wax paper into rectangular pieces that when folded, will fit over the end of the toilet tissue roll.
- Use a grater to grate peeled crayons of different colors
- Spread the colorful array of grated crayon onto the waxed paper.
- Fold the waxed paper in half and press with a warm iron until the paper sticks together. Adult supervision is required for the use of an iron.
- Secure the wax paper to the end of the toilet tissue roll with a rubber band.
- Have children hold their masterpiece up to the light up to light and see the various colors.
- Because there is only an elastic holding the paper on, encourage your child to make a couple of wax paper/crayon templates and switch them out to view the differences in color patterns.
- Decorate the outside of the paper tube with any crafty decorations that you'd like.