Back in 1991, the PATH Foundation was founded with the goal of creating a network of off-road trails in Atlanta in time for the 1996 Summer Olympics. Today, there are over a dozen beautiful PATH trails covering over 180 miles in the Atlanta area that can be used for running, cycling, walking, and skating. Whether you're interested in a scenic hike or a leisurely stroll through the trees, your family is sure to enjoy exploring one or many of these recreational trails.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the scenic views while hiking along the Arabia Mountain PATH, which winds through the pine trees past fields of wildflowers, beautiful streams, and immense rocks.
- Go for a leisurely stroll around the double-loop trail at Chastain Park, which is perfect for families that need to use strollers or want to bring their dog along.
- Explore the 19-mile Stone Mountain Trail, which begins in downtown Atlanta and ends at Stone Mountain after passing attractions such as Candler Park and downtown Decatur.
PATH Trails Insider Tips
- If you're interested in going on a long family bike ride, consider tackling part of the 60-mile Silver Comet Trail, which leads you through the gorgeous Georgia countryside.
- Before exploring the trails, view this list of trail rules and etiquette.
- View their events page to learn about upcoming community activities such as triathlons, art exhibitions, and outdoor challenges.