Spend the afternoon appreciating art from different cultures, visiting the Yin Yu Tang house, enjoying the silence at the Atrium, or having a quick snack at the museum's cafeteria. The museum started from the collections of the members of the East India Marine Society in 1799. It's early collections were composed of the various objects the captains have obtained from their trips to Asia, Africa, Oceania, and India.
Things to Do
- See ongoing exhibits that touch on a wide variety of subjects and highlights such Indian, Chinese, African, and American art. Check the museum's website for details.
- Explore the Yin Yu Tang house, well-preserved Chinese ancestral house of the Huang family. Take a look into Chinese art, architecture, and culture.
- Be amazed at the museum's vast permanent collection of art consisting of painting, sculptures, photographs, and textiles from the 1700s up to now.
- Visit the Art and Nature Center and get to see an exhibit on animals and art with fun and interactive activities for kids.
- Cap off your tour by getting a light and healthy snack at the Atrium Cafe or at the Garden Restaurant. Purchase jewelry, clothing, home decor, or your favorite exhibit's catalog at the Museum Shop.
Peabody Essex Museum Insider Tips
- Come to the museum early to reserve tickets to the Yin Yu Tang house.
- If you are going with a group (minimum 10 people), get the Group Tour package to avail of discounts.
- The public areas of the museum are accessible to wheelchair except for the Yin Yu Tang house.