Pedernales Falls State Park is a recreation area located approximately 30 miles away from Austin near Johnson City, Texas. Families visiting this large state park can enjoy a wide range of activities that include hiking, camping, swimming, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, horseback riding, and tubing. It is especially popular due to its scenic hiking trails which provide hikers with beautiful views of waterfalls, creeks, and natural pools.
Things to Do
- Take advantage of the park's hiking trails and go on a family hike out to the spectacular Twin Falls overlook.
- Cool off in the summer heat by wading in Arrowhead Pool or swimming in the Pedernales River.
- Check out a Junior Ranger Explorer Pack when you arrive to encourage your child to learn more about nature while you explore the park!
Pedernales Falls State Park Insider Tips
- The Pedernales River is known for dangerous flash flooding that occurs incredibly quickly - stay safe by avoiding the river area during inclement weather, and leave the area if you notice the water level rising.
- Spend the entire weekend enjoying the great outdoors by camping in the state park - you can reserve a campsite online or over the phone.
- Wear appropriate shoes for hiking so that you can fully explore the nature trails in order to see wildlife without worrying about injuring yourself on the rocks.