Phipps conservatory and botanical gardens were made functional and open to public view in 1893. Phipps conservatory was built by Henry Phipps as a gift to the city of Pittsburgh, since then the conservatory has been attracting many visitors, who are inspired by the beauty of the place and the wide variety of plants and flowers in an alluring setting.
The conservatory is a steel and glass Victorian green house, the domes of glass enclose 13 garden rooms that house the most exotic and vibrant collection of different plants and flowers. Many permanent and seasonal exhibits are offered at the conservatory, in the recent years, this green house has become more of a culture center.
The outdoors of the conservatory constitute of lush green landscapes, and beautiful and serene ponds. The conservatory and botanical gardens are a popular destination for the families.
Things to Do
- Families must visit the palm court, Orchid room, desert room, Children's discovery garden, Japanese garden, and outdoor ponds and rose garden. Get immersed in the beauty of the place, nature and serenity, the place is a great getaway for families.
- Summer flower show is currently in progress, it is a magical and endearing display of miniature objects, miniature farmlands and towns, brimming with a gorgeous display of flowers and plants. Children will enjoy this little wonderland and the interactive features.
- A fall flower show will be celebrated on Oct. 18, till Nov. 9. Be blown away with a marvelous display of Chrysanthemums in all shades, along with a miniature garden railroad.
- Kids would love the prehistoric garden railroad display, that features a dinosaur-theme, a wonderful display of plants, miniature dinosaurs, landscapes and erupting volcanoes.
- The shop at Phipps could not be missed by the ladies, it features hand-crafted jewelry, gardening books, decorative items, and games and toys for the little ones.
- The award winning cafe Phipps is a must-visit place for the foodies, be ready to enjoy fresh and healthy food at the cafe. Lots of options are available for vegan and organic food eaters.
- Dress accordingly, as some rooms maybe very warm in the summer, and very cold in the winters.
- Photography is allowed.
- Members can get free admission and discounts.