The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium is a wonderful place to visit for the families. One of only six major zoos in the United States, and among the top three children's zoos in the country, the zoo provides a natural habitat for thousands of animal species. The zoo and the Aquarium were made functional on 1898, and since then it has been providing the visitors with a glimpse of wildlife and nature.
The animals can freely roam in their natural habitats, It also features a Kid's kingdom and a fabulous aquarium that had opened in 2000. The Pittsburgh zoo advocates wildlife awareness, serves as a conservatory for many endangered species, and provides a recreational facility for adults and children.
The zoo has been undergoing continuous renovations in order to maintain its standards, and provide a safe haven for thousands of animals.
Things to Do
- The indoor rainforest is an amazing place to visit, it's a home to more than 90 primates from all over the globe, including gorillas, tamarins, orangutans and many others.
- Get a glimpse of Africa at the African Safari that is a home to giraffes, African lions, cheetah, elephants, ostrich, and zebra. Visit the Asian forest to see snow leopards and Siberian tigers.
- Get up-close with polar bears, sea otters, tiger sharks, sea lions and walruses at the Water's edge. The water's edge exhibits underwater tunnels to view and learn about the animals and their habitats.
- Families will enjoy the visit to the aquarium that features octopus, jellyfish, sting rays, a shark tank, sea horses and electric eel, plus many more other organisms.
- Kid's kingdom is the best place for kids, where kids can even touch the animals, such as deer, goat and kangaroos. Kids can do lots of interactive activities at the vicinity.
- You can buy many unique items at the gift shop. Many restaurants are available, including Safari Grill Restaurant that is open year-round.
- Wheel chairs and Wagon rentals for kids are available.
- Parking is free.
- Bring good walking shoes with you.
- Avail discounts with membership.