Kids can Upcycle your plastic bottles into unique and decorative Whirliwigs. Crafting is always fun but it becomes even more exciting when you can turn trash into treasure using items that you already have or might ordinarily be thrown away. These Whirliwigs are easy to make and loads of fun to watch twirl and sparkle in the breeze as garden or patio art. Your little crafters are sure to be proud of their recycled masterpieces.
- Heavier weight grade plastic bottle (gatorade, powerade, ice tea)
- Decorative charm or baubles
- Hole punch
- Fishing Line
How to Make It
- Wash your bottle out thoroughly
- Using sharp scissors, cut the bottom of your plastic bottle so that the bottom is removed.
- Now using your scissors, start cutting around and the around the bottle in approximately a one inch strip. This should be a continuous cut that goes around and around the bottle until you reach one inch from the top. Accuracy is not essential.
- You have now created a lovely spiral.
- Use your hole punch to punch a hole in the bottom of the spiral.
- Using fishing line, attach a glistening bauble or charm to the spiral through the hole.
- Next attach another piece of fishing line through the top of the bottle and hang in the garden or yard or maybe from a tree branch.
- Enjoy how it twirls and glistens.