The replica of the first imperio (or the Chapel of the Holy Spirit) is the main exhibit of the Portuguese Historical Museum, located at the History Park at Kelley Park. If you want to know how Silicon Valley was in its beginnings, the museum will serve as your storyteller from the days when the technological hub was known as Santa Clara Valley where Portuguese Americans settled.
Things to Do
- Whether it is the Portuguese Festival that brought you here or pure curiosity, you will find a lot of things to learn about Portuguese immigrants of the old days. On the museum's ground floor, focus is given to the imperio's reconstructed altar and its significance to the Portuguese community.
- Discover the Portuguese culture through exhibits focused on topics such as Life in The Old Country, Coming to America, and Making a Living.
- Visit the upper floor to see the history of Portuguese Americans, the events that led them to leave Portugal, and how their current way of living is influenced by their strong heritage.
Portuguese Historical Museum Insider Tips
- Visit other historical and cultural museums such as the Chinese American Historical Museum, Viet Museum, and the Hellenic Heritage Museum all located at the History Park.
- The museum is only open on weekends from 12PM to 4PM. If you wish to organize a private museum tour, call them ahead for reservations.