Powell Gardens is a Botanical garden in Kingsville, Missouri, and is located 30 miles east of Kansas city. Powell gardens feature a great variety of plants and seasonal displays in its 915-acre gardens. The land was originally purchased by George E. Powell, and it has been a botanical garden since 1988, before that it was an agriculture and nature center. Many exhibits, events and festivals are held in the gardens, and there are many fun activities for kids, too.
Things to Do
- The 2,500 square feet conservatory in the visitor center features many exhibits, the Polar express holiday display is running currently, in this stunning holiday display train models will pass through plants and colorful poinsettias. A Lego building exhibit is displayed in the Summer.
- Families can take walking and trolley riding tours of the beautiful gardens, walking tours let you experience the seasonal displays in the conservatory and the terrace gardens, the tour includes sight seeing of the Powell Allen chapel.
- The trolley ride tour takes you to the perennial gardens, terrace gardens, the chapel, the trolley takes you back to the visitor center after the tour.
- You can get to taste local harvest in the heartland harvest garden tour, this garden displays different food plants.
- Popular festivals like Booms and Blooms, and festival of butterflies are held in the Summer.
- Youth education garden features mules that kids can hop on, worm dig and many hands-on activities for the kids. Kids can enjoy water splash in the Garden fountain, best in the Summer.
- Light snacks are always available in the gift shop; perennial gifts. Cafe thyme in the visitor center is opened seasonally for lunch, the cafe remains closed in January and February. A picnic area is also available for family picnics.
- Perennial gifts showcases a variety of gifts, buy gardening tools and decor, books, gifts and much more.
Powell Gardens Insider Tips
- Parking is free.
- Restrooms are available.