Rainforest Adventures is a privately owned zoo opened in 2001. The zoo is located in Sevierville, Tennessee, approximately 13 miles from the Great Smokey Mountains and approximately 27 miles south of Knoxville, Tennessee. This site is more like a roadside attraction and is not particularly big. It may only take a few hours to explore the whole place, allot less than half a day for this trip so is a great stop on a road trip to the mountains.
Things to Do
- See a hands on presentation about the animals - some animals are taken out of their cages, and can be touched or petted by your kids. This is part of the animal education program that the zoo is undertaking so children (and even adults) can learn more about their species.
- See the animals - prepare your kids for this, as it may be shocking for them to see the animals caged up and in small enclosures. Also note that the animals may not be exactly seen on certain times as they could be sleeping in their habitats.
- Participate in an animal feeding - available only on certain days/times, catch the staff feed some of the animals. Other activities also happen throughout the day so check with the zoo to find out more about their program schedule for the day.
- Shop - the souvenir store (Amazon Traders) is big and has a diverse collection of stuffed animal species and other animal-themed items.
Rainforest Adventures Insider Tips
- Go online to their site to download a coupon for a discounted entrance fee to the zoo. You can also get discounted entrance fees with your child on school trips.