To get a real taste of the rugged beauty of the Mojave Desert leave the Strip behind and take a trip out to the breathtaking Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. It's definitely the place to go if you want to indulge in some hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing during your time in Las Vegas. Many of the rock formations, mountains and cliffs here really are spectacular and have been formed over millions of years. The area also boasts over 10,000 years of human history. Attracting well over a million visitors per year there must be something special about this part of the State!
Things to Do
- You can start your trip by heading to the Canyon's Visitor Information Center. Here you will find maps for trails and plenty of info on plants and wildlife in the area. There are all kinds of animals to find here including squirrels, deer, roadrunners, foxes and more.
- The area is also populated by desert wildflowers, Joshua Trees and all manner of cacti!
- It is a delight to explore the canyons and mountains of the area and with nineteen possible hiking trails there are all kinds of ways for you to discover the magnificence of the scenery.
- If you are a climber then you should head to either the Keystone Thrust or the La Madre Mountain which are both extremely popular with climbers.
- There are also opportunities for horseback riding and mountain biking as well as various picnic areas where you can enjoy lunch.
Red Rock Canyon Insider Tips
- For cars entering the Canyon there is a $7 charge. For pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists the charge is $3.