Visit the 64-acre Rio Grande Zoo, located inside the Albuquerque Biological Park, and be amazed with more than 200 species such as orangutans, elephants, and rhinos. The zoo is in the same area as the Rio Grande Botanical Gardens and Aquarium.
Things to Do
- Catch the daily feeding times of polar bears, seals, and giraffes. You can also ride the train and interact with lorikeets, porcupines, and llamas.
- Visit the different exhibits featuring various animals found in several continents. Find koalas, kookaburras, and kangaroos at the Australia section or go on a mini African safari tour and see rhinos and chimpanzees at the Africa exhibit.
- Other sections are divided per animal kingdom such as the Reptile House, Amphibian, and Birds of the Americas. There are more than 59 reptile species including Komodo dragons, mambas, and alligators. Observe frogs and salamanders in the Amphibian section and see birds of North and South America in the aviary.
- Grab snacks from the various cafes and restaurants inside the zoo and visit the gift shops to purchase souvenirs of your trip.
- The zoo serves as venue for events and concerts all throughout the year. Visit the website for more information on the schedule and events.
Rio Grande Zoo Insider Tips
- Food is sold inside but they also allow bringing of food inside. Bring lunch/snacks with you.
- If you plan to visit several time a year, you will surely get your money's worth if you avail of the annual membership.