River Road Park is a 62-acre public park in Carmel, Indiana, which is just 20 miles away from Indianapolis. It is located alongside the beautiful White River, which makes it a popular spot for water sports such as canoeing, boating, and fishing. Families that love to spend time exploring wildlife will enjoy its nature trails that wind through prairies and wetlands, as well as its scenic river overlook. Other features include an interpretive center, softball and soccer fields, and a unique playground which has a fun archaeology theme.
Things to Do
- Visit the playground with your child! This one-of-a-kind archaeological playground features slides, climbing equipment, and a handicap-accessible sandbox filled with artifacts that young visitors can dig up.
- Learn all about the history and cultures of Native American tribes that have lived in the area by looking at the fascinating displays in the interpretive center.
- Go on a family hike or bike ride! The park's paved nature trails are also a great place to take your child rollerblading.
River Road Park Insider Tips
- Bring along a blanket and a picnic lunch and enjoy your outdoor meal in the sunshine, or sit in the picnic pavilion to cool off in the shade.
- There are plenty of sports fields and open spaces in the park where you can play a game of soccer, throw around a frisbee, or fly a kite.
- Feel free to bring your dog along on your hike - many locals bring their dogs to River Road Park to get them some fresh air and exercise.