If you or any members of your family love animals, then you should definitely make the time to visit the Sacramento Zoo. The zoo first opened in 1927 and for over 80 years has been a permanent feature in William Land Park. While the zoo only had 40 animals when it opened, its collection now includes over 500 animals. The Sacramento Zoo is one of the smaller zoos you'll visit. However, its smaller size is beneficial if you have small children who will tire of walking.
Things to Do
- See the zoo's impressive collection of mammals. There are plenty of primates, felines, and other mammals from all over the world.
- Are you and your little ones keen ornithologists? Check out the zoo's collection of fantastic birds including exceptional eagles and fantastic flamingoes.
- Getting hungry? Stop for a bite to eat.
- Check out some of the wonderful lizards, amphibians, and fish.
Sacramento Zoo Insider Tips
- Save money and time by bringing your own food and snacks to the zoo.
- In order to avoid crowds and school groups, you should consider visiting on either a Monday, Saturday, or Sunday morning. If you can't make it to the zoo that early, consider visiting after 1 p.m. since school groups tend to have left by this time.
- Be sure to consult the kid's activities page for extra things for your little ones to do before and after visiting the zoo.
- Visiting in winter is also recommended as the animals are more active than in the summer when they prefer to lounge around in the shade.