Oftentimes hailed as a hidden gem amongst the hills of San Francisco, the historic Fire Department Museum on Presidio Avenue offers an imagination fulfilling educational experience to children and adults alike.
Things to Do
- Learn about the long history of the San Francisco Fire Department and the multiple fire houses which have provided protection to San Franciscans since the 1800's.
- Children are welcome to climb aboard some of the vehicles, ring the bells, and pretend to be a fire fighter!
- Examine the old photos and brilliantly preserved tools chronicling the history of American Fire Fighters.
- Make sure to snap a photo of your family alongside the historic fire engines!
San Francisco Fire Department Museum Insider Tips
- Parking and admission is free for all visitors, although donations are accepted.
- Plan to spend about 20 minutes to an hour exploring the museum.
- Ask questions! The museum is staffed solely by volunteers who are very willing to explain and answer questions about the history of the San Francisco Fire Department.
- Call ahead to make sure the museum will be open for the day.