One of the top attractions in the Los Angeles area is the Santa Monica Farmers' Market. The ocean-side city of Santa Monica is less than 30 minutes away from Los Angeles by car and is a great place to visit with the family if you're interested in seeing and purchasing from a huge selection of fresh, healthy agricultural products from California.
The city of Santa Monica actually has not one, but four different farmers' markets! While the most popular is the Sunday Market on Main Street, there are also three other markets open on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so it should be easy to plan your visit so that you can participate in one of these great local events.
Things to Do
- Head to the Sunday Main Street Farmers' Market and your kids will definitely leave happy - in addition to having a wide selection of fresh produce, this market provides live music each week, plus face painting and balloon designs for families with children.
- Teach your children about healthy eating and pick up some local produce from the market to take home so you can make a healthy family meal.
- The Santa Monica Farmers' Markets provide both youth and adult education programs. Children can learn about where food comes from and how to eat seasonal foods at the Wednesday Downtown Market, while adults can learn more about gardening and other ecological topics at the Santa Monica Main Library.
Santa Monica Farmers' Market Insider Tips
- If you're from the area and are interested in learning about local restaurants, visit the Wednesday and Saturday Downtown Markets on Arizona Ave. They feature food from a different Santa Monica restaurant every single week!
- Do you think your young children might get bored at the market? If so, print out one of the scavenger hunts from the Santa Monica Farmers' Market website so that they can have fun while you're shopping!
- Don't miss the petting farm and pony rides at the Sunday Main Street Farmers' Market. They make for a market experience that your child will never forget!