Located a short trip across the Golden Gate Bridge away from San Francisco Sausilito is a charming, scenic community located on a hill between the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Bay. The small town is famous for its bohemian community and there are plenty of artistic and cultural activities going on all year round. Apart from that there are plenty of shops, restaurants, cafés and regular festivals held throughout the year.
Things to Do
- Take your kids to the Bay Area Discovery Museum which aims to "bring creative thinking to life for all stages of childhood". The museum has a number of exhibits designed to entertain, educate and inspire creativity in children of all ages.
- Children who are a little older may enjoy the opportunity to learn how to kayak and stand up paddle. Sea Trek Kayak & SUP offer lessons for beginners and also have a rental service. They also run summer camps for kids.
- If you don't feel like driving there and back then take a ferry across the San Francisco Bay to Sausilito. Blue & Gold Fleet offer a ferry service that leaves from San Francisco's Fisherman's wharf. Golden Gate Ferries also have a ferry service that goes to Sausilito which disembarks from the historic Ferry Building in San Fransico's Financial District.
- Come at the start of September to enjoy the Sausilito Art Festial. Along with the artistic delights for art aficionados there is also live music, a wide array of food and drink and special kids shows to keep the little ones entertained too!
Sausilito Insider Tips
- If you drive to Sausilito be aware that the parking meters operate every day of the year from 9.00 a.m until 6.00p.m. They are free after 6.00pm.