Science center of Iowa is a learning center for children of all ages, located in down town Des Moines, Iowa, the science center features interactive exhibits, live programs and demonstrations, digital planetarium, IMAX dome theater, a cafe and a gift store. The science center opened in 1970, and the creative learning center started off in 2005. Families and children visit the science center to explore science and technology with great hands-on exhibits, theaters and events.
Things to Do
- Children can learn and explore science in a conducive and interactive environment, the science center features live science demonstrations to excite the kids. A variety of daily demonstrations include, Deep freeze, Cold blood Critters, Crazy fun chemistry experiments, and exploration of the human body.
- Displays feature hands-on activities such as making your hair stand on with electricity, creating a vortex of water, making and launching rockets, paper helicopters.
- Daily planetarium shows feature Iowa skies tonight, a play "Martian rock", Sesame street friends adventures, and the black holes.
- Family night is celebrated on second Friday of the month with discounted admission, documentary films and cafe specials.
- There is an activity area for the toddlers and daily story time.
- Ultimate dinosaurs is a special exhibit that displays 12 dinosaur specimens and interactive Ipads mounted on columns for learning.
- The food chain cafe offers snacks and meals, sandwiches, pizzas, salads and healthy food options.
- Take a souvenir home from the A-HA gift store.
- Birthday parties are offered for children in the age group 4-12.
Science Center of Iowa Insider Tips
- The science center is handicap accessible.
- SCI members enjoy many discounts.