The perfect blend of wildlife and science the Seymour Marine Discovery Center offers you the chance to learn just how important scientific research is in the fight to conserve our oceans. The Center couldn't be in a better place. Located in Monterey Bay an area which is famous for its incredibly diverse marine life, and connected to the Long Marine Laboratory, a world class university research facility, this is the ideal place to come to understand the beauty of our oceans.
Things to Do
- One fun program you can enjoy with young children is the Sunday Seaside Crafts program. This takes place every Sunday from 1 - 3 pm. Come along with your little one and make marine related arts and crafts. Take home whatever you make at the end!
- Free guided tours are offered every day once you have paid your admission. 45 minute afternoon tours take place at the 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm daily. These tours are led by knowledgeable guides who will fill you in on various displays and exhibits in the Discovery Center and the Long Marine Lab. A 30 minute abbreviated tour is offered for families at 11:00 am.
- If you would like a more in depth experience you can book one of the Center's Behind the Scenes tours. Depending on which tour you choose you can learn about the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf, explore the Younger Lagoon Reserve or find out about the marine mammal research projects taking place at the Long Marine Lab.
Seymour Marine Discovery Center Insider Tips
- The Center is closed on Mondays except during the busier months of July and August.
- Stay up to date with the various lectures, tours and events planned at the Discovery Center with their calendar.