Though it was only opened in 2012 Shem Creek Park has already become a favorite for locals of Mount Pleasant and visitors to the area alike. Here you can take a long leisurely walk along their boardwalk which stretches from Coleman Boulevard to Charleston Harbor very near the mouth of the Creek itself.
Things to Do
- Shem Creek Park is a beautiful and popular part of South Carolina. Here you can take spend a tranquil time getting closer to nature. It is a perfect place for a day trip with the family that isn't too stressful or tough on the wallet.
- The boardwalk at the park is 2,200 feet long and gives you great views of the creek as well as the marsh and surrounding wetlands.
- While you are walking you can read the various signs that provide facts on all nature that surrounds the boardwalk.
- If you are into fishing then this is a good spot for it. It is also a great place to see local wildlife and different bird varieties.
- There are a number of restaurants nearby the park which you can head to after your visit.
Shem Creek Park Insider Tips
- There are 35 parking spaces at the site for those visiting the park. The Creek's public restrooms are located near the lot.
- If you have a dog then bring it along, canine friends are perfectly welcome at Shem Creek Park.
- If you want to get an idea of the park before you go you can take a photo tour to see the place for yourself. On youtube there are also two video tours of the Park.
- There is a local water taxi that runs from Sham Creek to Patriots Point or to downtown Charleston. Use this if you want to incorporate other tourist sites into your day or if you simply don't feel like driving.
- Fishing lovers should check out this guide to other great areas for fishing around South Carolina.