Take an elevator down below the Earth's surface for an hour long guided tour of seventeen astoundingly beautiful rooms of underground wonder. The rock formations in the Shenandoah Caverns are simply breathtaking. Special lighting effects add to the miraculous views of the stalagmites and crystals that are on display in their natural form. What an exciting and unique destination!
Things to Do
- Take the elevator down inside the caverns for a guided tour and observe the incredible stalagmites and rock formations in this active cavern.
- Take photos of the natural masterpieces below the ground.
- Take a tour through the American Celebration on Parade exhibit which features 27 different floats from various parades and national celebrations.
- Take a walk through the Main Street of Yesteryear display which features elaborate window displays from the 1940s and 1950s. This is a rather quirky tour back through time.
- Check out the Yellow Barn if no events are being held there. See antigue agriculture equipment, shop in the gift shop, visit the winery for a wine tasting.
Shenandoah Caverns Insider Tips
- AAA and Military Discounts available
- Bring a light jacket as it does tend to get chilly down in the caverns. The temperature is controlled at 56 degrees year round.
- The paths are spacious and made of crushed stone and there are handrails for easy passage. Also there is an elevator to take you up and down so you don't have to walk up and down tons of stairs.
- Included in your ticket price is access to three other areas to view which are listed in things to do above.
- As an added extra to your visit, the Route 11 potato chip factory is nearby on this roadway. Their potato chips are amazing and if you stop by you can see the factory from behind the glass, try samples, and buy discounted varieties of chips.
- Arrive early to avoid long lines. Tours are about an hour a piece and leave every 30 minutes or so.