Get crafty with fabric and create your own pillow without having to sew a stitch. Children will feel such a sense of independence and accomplishment when they complete this project with little required assistance from adults. I recommend using fleece fabric for a soft plush pillow. Some of these fleece fabrics also have designs or even embroidered patterns. You may want to consider using two pieces of fabric that compliment one another which will give the pillow a reversible quality.
- 1 Yard of any style fabric of your choice
- A pillow insert or pillow stuffing or even an old pillow that you'd like to repurpose
- Sharp Fabric Scissors
How to Make It
- Decide what size pillow that you would like to make.
- Select a pillow insert or a model pillow and place on the center of the fabric.
- Trim the fabric down to 12 cm. This hem will become your tassled edging of your finished pillow.
- Repeat this process so that you have two equal pieces of fabric.
- Lay the two equal pieces of fabric on top of one another evenly and smoothly.
- Using your sharp fabric scissors, cut fringe all the way around the fabric on all four sides. The fringe should be measured and cut to 12 cm long and 2cm wide.
- The next step is to start closing up the sides of the pillow. To do this, with both fabric layers stacked (one decorative side down and one decorative side up with the backsides facing each other...start in one corner and begin tying a knot with one strip to its opposite strip.
- Continue this knotting process until 3 of the 4 sides are joined.
- Insert your pillow insert, old pillow, or stuffing and continue tying the remaining fringe in knots to complete the pillow.