Open 365 days of the year the Skydeck Chicago is located 1,353 feet in the air, on the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower, which at one time held the title of the tallest building in the world.
Things to Do
- The Skydeck has glass balconies that just out 4.3 feet out from the observation deck. These glass boxes allow you to literally step out over Chicago for a unique view over the busy city streets far below. A truly amazing photo opportunity!
- Before reaching the observation deck take in some of the Skydeck's exhibits. There is a video which outlines the history of the Willis Tower, another that compares the height of the 103rd floor to other major landmarks of the world and a number of touchscreen activities to keep you interested.
- People sometimes make a second visit during the night to catch Chicago's stunning skyline litup.
Skydeck Chicago Insider Tips
- Check the weather forecast ahead of time to make sure you head there on a bright clear day. While the view is almost always pretty impressive it is obviously best when you can see as far as possible. On the clearest days it provides a view that takes in over 50 miles and 4 states!
- If you do be prepared to queue. The Skydeck attracts a huge number of visitors, especially during the summer months. There are often long lines at the ticket office, security and at the elevators which take you up to the top. Try go in the morning to avoid the crowds.
- On the Skydeck's website is a listing of their affiliates with whom you can get discounts if you visit the Skydeck. You can also visit the Skydeck as part of the Chicago Citypass and the Go Chicago Card.
- Before heading to the attraction download and print off a copy of the Skydeck Brochure which gives a detailed outline of the views surrounding the structure.