The Minnesota State Fair is the largest State Fair in the United States based on average daily attendance. In 2014 nearly 2 million people flocked to the event in the days leading up to Labor Day. What they enjoyed was an enormous fair housing adventure parks and attractions, an incredible mix of animals, events and competitions for kids, a wealth of free entertainment, a great selection of food and drink and much more besides.
All the information here is based on the 2014 year though the Fair is always changing so be sure to check their website ahead of time to see what's coming up!
Things to Do
- Your kids will surely enjoy the attractions on offer at the Adventure Park. The Adventure Park includes river rafts, a haunted house, a carousel, a reptile show, a snake zoo, a maze and a turbo bungee.
- There are plenty of animal and agricultural exhibits to head to such as the Agrilympics, a horse expo entitled the Aisle of Breeds and Little Farm Hands, an educational experience for young kids.
- The Fair hosts a daily parade that could be a nice way to pass some time. This happened every day at 2 p.m during the 2014 fair but have a look on their website for the next one as this could change. The parade consists of high school bands, floats, animals and important guests all marching together.
- Look for the Fair's Alphabet Forest, a fun area where young kids can practice and improve their language skills. There are activities and visits from children's authors to be enjoyed.
State Fairgrounds Minnesota Insider Tips
- The State Fair takes pride in making the event accessible to all and as such it is possible to rent wheelchairs and electric scooters for the day. You can reserve one ahead of time too.
- If you would like to stay a few nights to make the most of the Fair there are many options for accommodation in the area. The Fair's website lists a few choices to get you started.
- You can use the Fair's A-Z Visitor Guide to fins whatever you need.
- The Fair offers certain days on which it is possible to get discounts on admission, check their website ahead of your visit to see what days you can take advantage of the deals.