Cloud dough is an extraordinarily fun sensory activity for children of all ages. Little hands can spend hours manipulating the dough from this recipe and it will form and then fall back away. Squeeze and build until your heart is content.
When you are certain that the cloud dough play is over, spice things up by introducing vinegar to the playtime experience. Place vinegar in a spray bottle or use spoons to pour the vinegar into the cloud dough. Watch how the baking soda reacts with the vinegar and fizzes almost endlessly.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Cups Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable oil
- Powdered food coloring
- White vinegar
- A spray bottle or dropper
- A bowl
- A large bin for playtime
- Optional: baking cups, wooden spoons, cars, plastic dinosaurs etc.
How to Make and Play
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. You will need to use your hands to work the ingredients together thoroughly to form a uniform dough mixture.
- Dump the cloud dough into a large plastic bin and add some optional tools and toys to the mix. Cloud dough is also fine to use as is.
- When playtime is winding down, add vinegar to a spray bottle or dropper and let the little ones spritz the cloud dough mixture. The baking soda and vinegar will react and form a fizzy masterpiece.
- Play will get a lot messier but even more interesting.