Do you have T-shirts that you love but have outgrown or don't wear often? Turn old T-shirts into delightful personalized tote bags with this surprisingly easy craft that can be used more frequently. The possibilities are endless for designing these bags and you may want to try your hand at using different decorating techniques. Play around with different sized T-Shirts for different sized bags for different uses.
- An old T-shirt
- Needle and thread or a sewing machine
- Fabric markers, a Tie Dye kit, buttons ( all optional)
Note: If you want a tie-dye T-shirt tote bag, complete the Tie Dying process prior to this project.
How to Make It
- Start by laying your T- shirt out flat on the table.
- Carefully fold the t -shirt over so that the sleeves line up evenly with each other.
- Use your scissors to cut the sleeves off of the T-Shirt. Next cut around the neck of the shirt. See the photo for a reference.
- Unfold the shirt and turn in inside out.
- Lay the shirt out flat again, lining the bottom up evenly.
- Use a sewing machine or a needle and thread to sew completely straight across the bottom of the T-shirt. or if sewing is a challenge, you can make fringe at the bottom the the tee shirt with sharp scissors and use the knot tying technique to close it up.
- Flip the shirt right side out again and you have your special T-shirt bag.
- Use your fabric markers to decorate your T-shirt Tote bag or leave it as is. Sometimes the T-shirt is decorative enough as it is or you might like its simplicity.
- Follow the instructions on the fabric markers for setting in the dryer or washing instructions.