If you and your family enjoy fishing, you must pay a visit to the Texas freshwater fisheries center, adults and children can do fishing without any license. Special fishing events are held that the whole family can enjoy. Many other activities are offered, a beautiful aquarium displaying native Texas fish, an alligator exhibit, dive shows, and wetland trails all add to the fun of an outdoor recreation and adventure.
Things to Do
- Enjoy fishing with your family at the fisheries center, you can catch sunfish and catfish year-round. From December through March you can catch Rainbow trout.
- A brief orientation to fishing is given in the beginning, if you're having any equipment problems during fishing such as lines getting tangled, the staff will fix it.
- Interesting events are held through the year to keep you coming back to the fisheries center, fly fish Texas, Athens Egg fest, National fishing day, Halloween at the hatchery and many other events.
- Kids will enjoy exploring 300,000 gallons of aquarium with native Texas fish. Enjoy daily dive shows. Take a tram tour of the outside hatchery.
- Enjoy bird watching in the bird and nature walk on second Saturday of every month.
- A fresh water fishing hall of fame museum educates about the heritage of fresh water fishing in Texas.
- Bring a picnic lunch or enjoy snacks from the gift shop.
Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center Insider Tips
- Pets are not allowed.
- TFFC is closed on Mondays.