Modeled after a French chateau and completed in 1901, The Elms, served as a luxurious "summer cottage" for Mr. and Mrs. Edward Berwind, whose fortune was made in the coal industry.
The remarkable interior of this mansion includes such riches as Oriental jades, 18th-century French and Venetian paintings and a collection of Renaissance ceramics.
The recently restored, lavish grounds include fountains, a sunken garden, marble pavilions, and bronze statues.
The Elms was purchased by The Preservation Society of Newport County in 1962, and the house was then open to the public. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996.
Things to Do
The Elms Insider Tips